13 September, 2011

Two Dogs and a Skunk

Most of us have been here.

It was early morning, about 6:00, when we were heading for a long walk, well, run. I let the silly pair loose to hunt. Off they went over the knoll. I heard Max give three sharp barks and I hoped all was okay. Before I knew it, Max was checking in with me and along with that, my nose took a second sniff. Yes, indeed, they had met up with a skunk. Then Zeetie came running over, sliding along the ground, head first trying to get rid of the odor and spray from her eyes.

As we headed back to the car, a runner informed me that there was a skunk up that way. Yes, I replied, they already found it, but thank you.

I bathed both of them in a mixture of dish soap, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide followed by a tomato juice bath. Tomato juice does cut the smell and works even better when left on for a bit.

Zeetie is smell-free even when she gets wet so the baths worked. Max' head still smells because I didn't wash it for some reason.
Zeetie kept rolling around in the dirt on what was once a well-manicured lawn.

No comments: