11 May, 2010

A Diamond in the Rough – Tennessee Foster, Cher


Tuesday, 11. May

Before I get to her past, and no, that is not Zeetie pictured above (although, if she does it again, it may be), here's her first and I hope last stint at not coming. It was a beautiful albeit cool day yesterday. Zeetz was so good on our walk for awhile. On one come, she had something sticking out of her mouth. What a good girl, Zeetie. She brought it right to me. As I fished in my pocket for a trade off, this thing became slimier in my hand. As we traded, she let go of the slimy thing. It was a goose leg attached to a big webbed foot. Gross. I hung it in a tree.

She continued to be very good on comes. I then watched her go into the bush. Normally, she catches up with me but not this time. I ended up going home alone and biking back down to search for her. I know she panics when she loses me. I finally returned home without my little mushroom. She had returned home on her own (I know, she had to cross a busy street). Don looked out the window and there she was. So, so happy with her tail wagging and a big smile on her face. Look what I have for you, she smiled! She had run back by the church and grabbed the old rabbit bones and fur (pictured above) she had left there so long ago. Such a pleased little girl.

ZEETIE'S PAST

I was in touch with Zeetie's Tennessee foster, Cher, to let her know how Zeetie was doing. I also wanted to know more about Zeetie's background. Cher does so much for the Pyr world in taking in, as she calls them, diamonds in the rough.

Here are Zeetz' in-take photos courtesy of Cher.


Zeetie had Demodectic (commonly called demodex) mange from malnutrition and starvation, and secondary skin infections from it going untreated for so long.

In Cher's words:
The first to care was the woman who took her to our vet when she found her wandering the streets. The animal shelter would have only put her down. The second to care was our vet who called us and asked us to take her in. We were the third to care. We gave her meds, trained her and taught her the trust she lacked. The Rescue that sponsored her care was the fourth. Her Northern foster Sue, was the fifth, and you who gave her a home and still work with her, the sixth and final and best. We can't do it if no one will look at our diamonds, while they're rough, and love them. Ziti's a tad rougher than some, chuckle, but wow what a gem she did turn out to be.
We feel very fortunate to have Zeetie. She is a really good girl at heart and provides us with much entertainment. Thanks to rescues like the National Pyr Rescue, and dedicated fosters like Cher, Maryanne and Sue, discarded dogs get the life they deserve. With so many unwanted dogs, I can't imagine not giving a deserving rescue a home.

After Don saw Zeetz' in-take photos, he has a renewed compassion for her. I'm sure he'll cut her some slack on the broken watch, disintigrated belts and leashes, crotchless underwear, toeless and heeless socks, broken zippers, wasted pant waist bands and shirt collars, holy pockets, ripped up plastic bags, and smoothly carved out butter blocks. How can you not forgive a Pyr with her background and a face like hers? We should feel lucky that that is all she has done compared to MA's fosters. And, she also left her mark in Cher's home, 'There's not a room in my house that doesn't bear the signs that she started here. And I find I don't mind. And, missed her a good bit.'



No comments: